Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Getting Dirty...With Charcoal

My first passion in art has always been drawing.  I always drew with a graphite pencil and would use my finger to smudge the graphite to show depth.  When I was in 7th grade, my middle school art teacher taught us how to do that by drawing a ribbon.  I am currently a substitute teacher and whenever I work with students who love to draw, that is the first thing I try to show them if there is any free time during the day.
When I took a drawing class at RIC that taught me a lot about perspective, it also taught me about using different materials.  There I was introduced to charcoal.
I find that many times charcoal is easier and much easier to smudge than graphite, but it can also be tricker to erase.  I usually use my fingers or a smudger stick to smudge.  I prefer my fingers however because I find them easier to use and the area ends up looking smoother to me.  Whenever I use charcoal, my fingers, the table, my pants and shirt always get dirty.  Sometimes my fingers will stay dark for a few hours, even after scrubbing my fingers.  But it is fun :)
Charcoal and graphite drawings are classic, they remind me of the beautiful and elegant black and white photos.  They are able to go with any house decor and is easier on the eyes.  There aren't any colors to process or get distracted by, you can simply just enjoy the beauty of the piece.
Here are some charcoal and graphite pictures I have drawn for myself or for my portfolio.
 I love the patriots and the sox!  I wanted to try drawing something different one day and really like how it came out.  This picture is currently hanging in my room and one day will be hanging in my sports room in my house :)
 Another shadow box in my room.
 I usually am drinking chais from Dunkin Donuts.  I wanted to draw something and had the cup right in front of me, so I just started to draw it.


 I am still learning, this is my first person that I have ever drawn (and have it actually look like a person haha).  I have difficulty with faces but am continuing to practice.  One day I am hoping to get it right!
 haha I sat down, trying to decide what to draw and started just drawing my feet in front of me.
 Of course I draw charcoal pumpkins!
When I was in college, I always had books around and some sort of hot drink.
Let me know what you think!  I hope you get inspired and appreciate/see the same kind of beauty in charcoal like I do!
xoxo Savannah

4 comments:

  1. Love! Naturally my favorite is the one with the 3 arm chairs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Jell! I love the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the drawing you did of a person is fantastic! I think he could be the cutest little boy I have ever seen! You did a great job, you should try more portraits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much sweetdesigns! He definitely is the cutest boy I have ever seen, it's a picture of my lil cousin :) I'm hoping to try more portraits in the future I still have a lot of trouble with them.

    ReplyDelete