Sunday, September 23, 2012

A Hint Of Color

Black and white photographs are always so pretty, very classic and simple.  That is also how I feel about graphite and charcoal drawings.  I have been looking at lots of examples of wedding pictures lately and there are always a few black and white photographs.  I have been seeing more and more black and white photographs with the bride and groom in color, just the brides flowers in color, her heels in color and so on.  I wanted to try that with my charcoal drawings.
Instead of only drawing a pumpkin, I tried drawing corn stalks behind the pumpkins to add a little something different:


Added just enough color with my pastels.

My messy work area:

Here's the finished piece with a mat and in a frame.  I chose a burnt orange mat to highlight the orange in the pumpkins.  It was also a really nice Fall color.  I didn't want too bright of an orange because the charcoal makes the picture much darker than if I had used graphite.
 I really like how this piece came out!
This piece will be at the Mangiacotti Barn Sale that starts this Thursday.  Here are a few other pieces that I am dropping off to sell:

 I love these acorns!! They are so beautiful!

 I used just a hint of color in this spooky picture as well, the broom really pops with it!
 When I first started painting these sunflowers, they blended in too much with the color of the leaf so I had to go back and add some black because even the brown wasn't going to be dark enough of a contrast.  But a little black went a long way!





I didn't help set up and merchandise the Barn this time but I know my friends have been working extremely hard with the owner to get that Barn looking amazing!!
I am going to be helping out during the sale 2 days and am very pleased to be dropping some of my art off to sell! 
If anyone would like to stop by and check it out:
Thursday 9/27 and Friday 9/28 10am to 9pm & Saturday 9/29 and Sunday 9/30
117 Pleasant St. Attleboro, MA 02703 
I hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful weather as much as I am!!


Always,
      Savannah

No comments:

Post a Comment