Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Transforming a Design And Having Fun With Lines

Sometimes I find drawing a picture that is meant for a tatoo or a simple design is harder than painting or drawing a picture that is meant to hang on a wall.  My friend Cory was looking for someone to design a tatoo for him.  He was having different people try it out and he would choose the one he liked the best.  He let everyone know what he was looking for, a picture of a snowy mountain scene like the mountains in Utah and the beach.  I wanted to try drawing this because I thought it would be a fun challenge!  I drew one picture and absolutely loved the way it came out, I am actually going to frame it and hang it up for myself.  But....I unfortunately put it some where and cannot find it!  But here is the second one that I drew:
The first one came out so much better and looked a little different, this one is tweaked but at least I can give you an idea.  I find pictures like this harder to draw for a few reasons.  First off, if it's meant to be a tatoo on a persons body, it is permanent so it has to look really good.  There can't be any mistake on what the picture looks like when the tatoo artist copies a pre-drawn design.  Secondly, whenever I think of tatoo designs I think of a simple floating design.  The pictures I draw and paint go into a frame for the most part, you can see an end to the picture on all 4 sides, you see it in a box.  But with a tatoo, there may not be a border enclosing the design, it doesn't go into a picture frame.  It has to be drawn to look good out of a box.  That is my opinion and some people may not agree with me, which is perfectly fine but, those are just a few reasons why I find them challenging.
Here is one design along the same idea of a tatoo, but this design I kept changing.


If you look carefully you are able to see that I erased a lot around the flower.  That hawaiian flower is the main focal point of the design and then I played around with the type of lines around it.  This design isn't as complex as the one with the mountain and the ocean but it gave me a lot of trouble.  I knew what I wanted but couldn't piece it together just right.  But these were the 4 that I think came out the best.
For me, these types of designs are more challenging but so much fun!
Which one do you like the best?
xoxoSavannah

No comments:

Post a Comment