Sunday, March 11, 2012

Enlarging With Thumbnails

Sometimes while I am drawing a picture there are areas that give me a hard time.  The details are tricky or I just need to focus in on that one area to really get the area looking like I need to.  Whenever this happens I learned to draw a thumbnail off to the side or on a separate piece of paper.  A thumbnail is drawing a smaller box that you fill with that one area that is giving you a hard time.  This thumbnail helps you draw the piece larger and focus in on only that spot.  It is giving all your attention to one thing at a time and perfecting it.  I've also learned that this is also a lesson for everyday life not just drawing.  How can a big picture be accomplished if none of the smaller tasks are completed to their fullest extent?

When I was trying to draw the train station in North Conway there was a lot to take in and of course it was giving me some problems.

The thumbnails can sometimes help with concentrating on angles or depth.  Here are a few more pictures I did in a studio:











I even like the look of a drawn set up with thumbnails surrounding it.  It is like zooming in on specific areas to take a better look.
Next time you are drawing and need to work on a specific area, don't hesitate to draw a few thumbnails. They really help me!
xoxo Savannah

No comments:

Post a Comment